Saturday, September 27, 2008

Comic Books: Out With the Old, In With the New

I'm dropping several comics.

I'm dropping Captain America for reasons listed in my previous post.

I'm dropping X-Factor because this month's issue was the make-or-break issue for me. It doesn't look like it's going to return to the quality of the first 24 issues any time soon. In fact, I have a feeling Peter David will be leaving the book before long.

I'm dropping Eternals because it's been a tremendous disappointment, especially the art by Daniel Acuna, who is capable of so much better. There was promise at first that Sersi would be positively portrayed for the first time since she was an Avenger, but it didn't happen.

I'm dropping Captain Britain and MI 13 because, while it's well-done, I still can't get myself to care about anyone or anything in the book.

I'm dropping Ms. Marvel because the stories are dumb and because artist Adriana Melo can't seem to handle a monthly schedule.

On the other side of the coin, I'm cautiously going to start following Thunderbolts when Andy Diggle takes over the writing next month. The 2004 Adam Strange mini was brilliant, and The Losers was one of the few Vertigo books I've ever liked. If Thunderbolts gets good enough, I'll add it to my list.

Once they're on the schedule, I'll definitely be adding a couple books:

*The second Justice League book with Hal & Ollie and with James Robinson writing. I've wanted a Hal & Ollie League since forever (I wish Black Canary could be there too instead of in the flagship Justice League book) and my increasing appreciation of Robinson's Starman (it only took 15 years) makes me more excited about this book than ever.

*Power Girl's solo book, although Gray & Palmiotti have yet to live up to their reputation for me; it'll be great to have Amanda Conner on a monthly book, though.

No comments: